WALK TO SCHOOL
How can my child participate? By walking or biking from home, joining a walking school bus, or using one of our four park and walk locations.
Volunteer to help with Walk to School Wednesday by being a “Walking Bus Leader” sign up here
Are you interested in helping with Walk to School or have any Questions?
Park & Walk
Walking School Bus
A “walking school bus” is group of children that walk to school together with adult supervision. The group walks along a set route that children and parents can join along the way. The children arrive at school safe, happy and ready to learn!
Audubon Briarcliff Apartments
Tips for walking safely to school
Walking is fun, but you need to be safe while doing it. Follow these tips to make sure you get to and from school without any problems.
Younger children should always walk with an adult. Tell your parents that walking is great exercise and a nice way to spend time together.
If your parents say that you can walk to school on your own, remember these tips:
- Walk with a friend when possible.
- Ask your parents to help you pick a safe route to school; one that avoids dangers.
- Stick to the route you picked with your parents. Don’t let friends talk you into shortcuts that are more dangerous.
- When you are near the street, don’t push, shove, or chase each other.
- Never hitchhike or take rides from people not arranged by your parents.
- Talk to your parents and teacher about any bullying that may happen during your walk.
Remember, drivers may not be able to see you well. Always wear bright-colored clothes and if it is dark or hard to see, carry flashlights or wear reflective gear.
Look for traffic
Watch out for cars and trucks at every driveway and intersection on your walk to school. Look for drivers in parked cars. They may be getting ready to move.
Cross the street safely
- Stop at the curb or edge of the street.
- Look left, right, left and behind you and in front of you for traffic.
- Wait until no traffic is coming and begin crossing.
- Keep looking for traffic until you have finished crossing.
- Walk, don’t run across the street.
Obey traffic signs, signals and adult school crossing guards.
- Monday, April 3
- Tuesday, April 4
- Wednesday, April 5
- Thursday, April 6
- Friday, April 7
- Wednesday, April 12
- Thursday, April 13
- Monday, April 17